Our Kaupapa is to provide loads of fun and challenging activities that teach our rangatahi important stuff like taking care of themselves, building confidence, nailing a job and developing a stronger network of support. It is all about giving rangatahi the tools for their next step in life and to make a positive difference in their community.
Toiora aims to improve the lives of the most vulnerable young people in the community – often those that do not have leadership, guidance and support structures around them. This means they are at high risk of long term unemployment and crime.
E WHA NGA POU 1 - TE ORANGA / PERSONAL WELLBEING
Sport, education, cultural and community connection is used to improve overall wellbeing and support rangatahi to become work ready. The course embraces a holistic approach to personal wellbeing.
Initiatives delivered to improve rangatahi’s personal wellbeing include but are not limited to:
- Tailored personal pathway plan that includes identifying short term goals and a fitness plan
- Cultural activities that explore whakapapa
- Time with mentors and inspirational leaders
- Support with mental and physical wellbeing
- Access to the gym and sports teams
E WHA NGA POU 2 - MAHINGA MAHI / WORK READINESS
Toiora Waiariki work with rangatahi to identify and overcome barriers that may be preventing them to apply and succeed in job applications.
Initiatives include supporting rangatahi with to make sure they have or are working towards:
- Attaining legal identification, a bank account and IRD number
- CV (relevant skills, experience, interests), cover letter, interview preparation and online applications
- Driver licensing preparation including mock exams in preparation for sitting their licence
E WHA NGA POU 3 - WHEAKO MAHI / WORK EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
Rangatahi have the opportunity to engage in employment, volunteer work and work experience, based on their individual interests.
Training and work experience opportunities offered to rangatahi include:
- Placement in part-time and full-time work
- Volunteer and work experience
- Distance and online learning
- Industry licenses like first aid, forklift licence
- Literacy and numeracy support in real life situations
- Career excursions and employer visits
E WHA NGA POU 4 - TIAKI PASTORAL / PASTORAL CARE
Wrap-around and ongoing pastoral care is delivered throughout the 10-week course and for at least 6 months after graduation according to individual needs and preferences.
Pastoral care delivered as part of the Toiora program includes:
- Regular check-ins and ongoing support with E wha nga Pou
- This could be monthly, fortnightly, weekly or multiple weekly engagements
- Help with any issues/setbacks arising in the workplace or personal life
- An open-door policy for past participants
- Support with transportation and with representation at official meetings or events
- Support in work or study applications
Take Your Next Step
Register your interest with Toiora New Zealand today.